Tuesday, January 22, 2008

CNN Covers Sexist/Racist CNN? How Meta...

Finally, aggressive reader responses to one of CNN's thinly veiled sexist and/or racist articles has finally been awarded an acknowledgment from CNN. Clearly, there is no apology in this article on CNN.com today, but at the very least they quoted some strongly worded emails from readers who were offended by CNN's coverage of Obama as a "black" candidate and Clinton as the "top female candidate."

The article about which readers were specifically angered was "Gender or race: Black women voters face tough choices in S.C.", obvious from the title an article that takes political issues directly out of the equation for black women voters, assuming they vote only based on race or sex. Personally, I think the most amusing reader comment in the CNN response article was this:

An e-mailer named Tiffany responded sarcastically: "Duh, I'm a black woman and here I am at the voting booth. Duh, since I'm illiterate I'll pull down the lever for someone. Hm... Well, he black so I may vote for him... oh wait she a woman I may vote for her... What Ise gon' do? Oh lordy!"


I'm so used to reading coverage of this election that is both racist and sexist, but finally I feel like I'm seeing legitimate angry responses to this disappointing trend. CNN may not have apologize for targeting their white, male audience and undermining the entire American voting population, but at least they are publishing some objections. For an example check out this great Op-Ed from Bob Herbert at The New York Times called "Politics and Misogyny".

No comments: