Thursday, October 11, 2007

He may be white, and a man...

...but that doesn't mean he's evil. In this article from the guardian about Ani Difranco, I found yesterday on Feministing.com, she mentions Dennis Kucinich. Ani Difranco has always been an a strong voice in politics and feminism and has without fail spoken against the Bush administration. I was surprised at her pseudo endorsement of Kucinich because I, honestly, have never given him much thought. From the beginning (which already feels like ages ago) I hoped Barack Obama would run for president, and when he did I pledged my undying loyalty to his campaign. This decision didn’t allow me much time to really consider other contenders; to find a candidate who I truly aligned with in policies and platforms, but he’s a good guy, and a strong candidate and I believe would spur a positive change in our country.

But I wonder. Why, even now before the primaries, before the nation has a nomination for either party, are all the other candidates completely forgotten?

If American elections were legit, and really about issues and beliefs and the future of our country, this would not be so. Elections are about money, primarily, and every CNN or Washington Post article confirms this. Whoever raises the most money per quarter is apparently the best candidate. I don’t like it, but I have come to accept it.

My politically savvy friend Mike, also an Obama supporter sent me this quiz. (I promise it is better than the Are You a Good Kisser quiz I mentioned yesterday.) I wasn’t necessarily shocked by its results, but saddened that the only candidates (Obama and Clinton) I have to choose from don’t fall anywhere near the top of my list in issue compatibility. Solely based on issues, I should be out there, parading around DC wearing my Dennis Kucinich t-shirt.

The thing that I’m afraid of, that I think all democrats are afraid of right now, is that through some sort of short-circuit in the mind of the nation, Republicans might end up on top again. So we band behind our chances at winning—even if they might not be perfect for us. We have to show a common face. We can’t let votes slip to third-party candidates or moderate Republicans. And if we want Obama, we have to show Hillary our loyalty to him will not waiver.

I wonder if I would marry someone I didn’t love (even if I could divorce them after 4 years) just because I was afraid I’d get stuck with someone I couldn’t stand? I don’t know. I don’t think so. I don’t think I’d gamble with my own happiness that way, but for some reason I’m not considering that the person who becomes the president of the United States DOES affect my happiness. The next president will effect my ability to get married to whomever I chose, how many more friends of mine will risk their lives overseas, how many children in my (future) classroom who will have no insurance. It will be this president who says whether or not I can have an abortion if I believe it is in my best interest or if my own health or the health of my family can be improved with stem cell research. The next four years do matter. My vote for president does matter. Is a Democrat better than a Republican in my mind? Yes. Is Obama better than Hillary? Definitely. Might Kucinich be better than both? He probably would be, if he ever had a chance.

1 comment:

lara said...

I am unclear on why you hate Hillary so much. Please expound upon this with a post.

I am apparently best matched with our friend Kucinich, and also Chris Dodd, who is supported by Paul Simon. Woo!