Thursday, February 28, 2008

I miss you St. Pats.

I really love St. Patricks day and all its Glory (evidence here in photographs), but this year I will experience very little St. Patricks day fun. I will be traveling for work the entire week/weekend before St. Patricks day AND will be in class on St. Pats itself. I will be running a Shamrock Shuffle 8k on the 9th, and for this I plan to color my hair and face green to express my love for the holiday. Because I will practically miss St. Pats this year, I will try to provide some St. Pats fun-facts for you all in the weeks preceding the holiday. This is a fact I just learned at about.com this year that involves Old St. Pat AND Leap Year!!



"Leap Year has been the traditional time that women can propose marriage. In many of today's cultures, it is okay for a woman to propose marriage to a man. Society doesn't look down on such women. However, that hasn't always been the case. When the rules of courtship were stricter, women were only allowed to pop the question on one day every four years. That day was February 29th. It is believed this tradition was started in 5th century Ireland when St. Bridget complained to St. Patrick about women having to wait for so long for a man to propose. According to legend, St. Patrick said the yearning females could propose on this one day in February during the leap year. "


I mean, its cool for gals to propose to their guys all year round, but its interesting that St. Patrick was involved in this sly little agreement. I guess my advice to you all is to propose to your sig other tomorrow...or in 4 years...or, heck...maybe just wait til you are ready. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we'll make our own st. patty's day, i guess. in silver spring. it'll be not as much fun as chicago, however, we'll have 3 kittens just dying to be dyed green!

C. Drew said...

Looks like Nick's out of luck this year. Too bad I didn't read this post until now.

What a shocker - it's my fault.